How Frequently Should I Change My A/C Air Filter?
Some of the biggest factors which affect how often you should change your A/C air filter include:
- type of air filter you are using;
- overall indoor air quality;
- number of pets in the home;
- number of people in the home;
- allergies of anyone in the home; and,
- level of air pollution and construction around the home.
For basic 1-3″ air filters, manufacturers usually direct you to change them every 30-60 days. Here are some average air filter changing frequencies which might help you know how often you should change your own air filter at home:
- single occupant home, no pets or allergies: 6-12 months
- average family home, no pets or allergies: 3 months
- average family home, any pets, any allergies: 1-2 months
If you notice any strange smells coming from your air conditioning system, you should contact a technician like H&S Heating and Air Conditioning right away.
How To Change Your Filter
One of the most important things to do to improve your indoor air quality is to regularly change your air filter. Generally, your A/C air filter should be replaced every 1-2 months, and can be done yourself or by one of our trained technicians. Call us for your filter needs, or stop by the shop.