Changing Furnace Filter
During the winter, all of the air your family breathes comes through the furnace filter. For ideal furnace maintenance, it’s suggested you replace the filter once per month but never let it go for as long as a year without being changed.
- Ensure the furnace is not running before you begin replacing or checking the furnace filter.
- The filter will be located on the right or left side of the furnace, between the duct leading into the bottom of the furnace.
- Check the filter monthly, either to change it or to ensure there is no damage or that it isn’t dirty or plugged.
- To replace the filter, be sure to check the filter size located on the filter itself. Contact H&S Heating & Air Conditioning for replacement filters.
- There will also be an arrow on the filter indicating which way air is supposed to flow through it; point the arrow toward the furnace.
- Remember, furnace maintenance is recommended once per year. Your furnace manufacturer may even require it to uphold the warranty.
Cleaning Floor Vents
Fall is a great time to remove floor registers and vacuum out your heating ducts. Your heating ducts are magnets for dust, pet hair, small toys and food scraps, so furnace maintenance on this part of your system is vital, otherwise all of the debris which has fallen into the register will be in the air once the furnace kicks in. You’ll also breathe easier after furnace maintenance without the debris in the air, and your heating system will work more efficiently.